In LOCATE, you may record and take payments for sales orders with the payment methods of your choosing. For more information about creating and managing payment methods click here. For more information about payment processing service integrations, click here.
- Navigate to the sales order for which you would like to record a payment.
- On the Payments sub-tab, in the Record Payment section fill in the following:
- Amount - You can quickly enter the balance due by clicking "Remaining Balance".
- Reference Number - Enter a reference number, such as a check number or transaction number.
- Payment Method - Select the appropriate payment method. Note: Payment methods must be created in LOCATE before they can be used to record a payment. Continue here for more information.
- Credit Card Network - Choose the appropriate credit card network, if applicable.
- Click Record Payment.
The payment will appear in the Payments section at the bottom of the screen. If the order is in an unissued status, you may Edit or Delete the recorded payment with the buttons to the right.
If you have a payment processing service integration with LOCATE, you may take and process credit card payments directly within LOCATE's interface. The integration must be setup prior to taking payment. Continue here for more information.
- Navigate to the sales order for which you would like to take a payment.
- On the Payments sub-tab, in the Take Payment section fill in the following:
- Amount - You can quickly enter the current balance due by clicking the hyperlinked dollar value above.
- Card Number - Enter the full card number. This field does not allow for dashes (-) between numbers.
- If you have credit card swiping hardware, you may click the card icon next to the card number to swipe. This allows you to auto-complete all information except for the CVV and Postal Code.
- Month - Select a month from the drop-down list.
- Year - Select a year from the drop-down list.
- CVV - Enter the security code from the card. This is usually a three or four digit code on the back of the card.
- Full Name - Enter the name that appears on the card. If this is the same as the customer contact on the order, click the name to auto-populate the field.
- Postal Code - Enter the postal code for the billing address of the card. If this is the same as the customer's billing zip code, click the code to auto-populate the field.
- Click Take Payment.
The payment will appear in the Payments section at the bottom of the screen. If the order is in an unissued status, you may Edit or Delete the recorded payment with the buttons to the right. Note: this will not trigger any sort of refund in LOCATE. If you wish to give the customer their money back, that must be done in the payment processing software you are using.
If an invoice is unissued, you may use the Pre-Pay Invoice action to flag the invoice as "Awaiting Payment".
If a sales order is closed short but the customer has provided payment for the full order, LOCATE's Overpayment feature will create a credit memo or refund receipt in QuickBooks for the difference.
In order to use this feature, the following must be true:
- The Payment Setting "Auto-Credit Customer Payment Balance Upon Order" is turned on, or set to Yes.
- There is a payment applied to the order.
- The sales order has been closed short at an amount less than the payment applied.
Once these conditions have been met, and your accounting service has synced, a credit memo or refund receipt will be created.
Create Refund Receipt
If you are using QuickBooks Online, you may choose to automatically create refund receipts instead of credit memos, by following the steps below.
- Navigate to the Setup Menu and select Services.
- Use the column filters or sorting to find your QuickBooks Online service.
- Click the Name hyperlink.
- In the Service Settings section, find the Overpayment Clearing account.
- Click into the drop-down menu on the right to find the refund account you would like to use.
- Click Save Setting.
If you wish to go back to creating credit memos, simply clear out the Overpayment Clearing account and click Save Setting.
With the Underpayment feature in LOCATE, you may proceed with completing a sales order for which there is a balance owed by the customer. When the order is completed and the invoice is synced to QuickBooks, it will show as partially paid. From there, you may either process payment or apply a credit to the balance owed.